An Overview Of The Workers’ Comp Process
Atkinson Law Office, P.A. & Minnesota Disability represents people in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area and statewide in workers’ compensation claims. Our firm was founded with the goal of providing competent legal services for injured and disabled people throughout Minnesota. We believe that every person deserves to be represented by a skilled attorney, regardless of the circumstances of his or her situation.
The Workers’ Compensation Claims Process In Minnesota
The first steps for any injured worker should be to seek emergency medical attention, if needed, and to contact our law firm. Our skilled Minnesota workers’ compensation lawyers will then guide you through the rest of the process and work to obtain the maximum compensation available for your injury. We invite you to review the following information to learn more about the various stages of the workers’ compensation claims process in Minnesota:
- Report your workplace injury — You must report the accident to your company if you want to seek workers’ compensation benefits. Notifying the company as soon as possible is the best practice. You should understand that you do not have to worry about being fired or harassed for filing a claim. Your rights are protected under the law.
- File your workers’ comp claim — The exact process for filing a claim in Minnesota will differ depending on the nature of your accident and the types of injuries you suffered. We can walk you through the claims process that is appropriate for your situation.
- Get medical treatment — Within 60 days of your injury, you should be examined by a physician of your choice. If your employer tells you to choose a certain doctor, you have the right to refuse. You want a doctor who is neutral, not one in the pay of the insurance company.
- Work with a qualified rehabilitation counselor (QRC) — If you are under work restrictions due to your injury, the state of Minnesota is obligated to offer the services of a QRC. Vocational rehabilitation may help you to get back to work. You are also obligated to work with a QRC or risk losing your workers’ compensation benefits.
- Obtain your workers’ compensation benefits — You may be eligible for a variety of benefits, including money to cover your lost wages and medical expenses as well as vocational rehabilitation services.
Knowing how to effectively handle a workers’ comp claim is key to reaching a successful outcome. Our firm is led by Tom Atkinson, an attorney who has worked in the workers’ compensation field for more than 20 years. While he once represented employers and insurance companies in workers’ comp cases, he now uses this knowledge and insight to help injured workers obtain the benefits to which they are entitled to receive.
Contact Our Twin Cities Workman’s Comp Lawyers
Please contact our Minnesota workers’ compensation lawyers to schedule a free initial consultation at 651-300-0408. We can be reached 24/7 with our after-hours answering service and are available to schedule consultations at your convenience. If your injury prevents you from visiting our staff in the office, we are happy to make home, hospital and off-site consultations by appointment.